Provided through Florida's State Agencies
This guide introduces consumers to health and human services programs available through various Florida state
agencies. For further information on the programs, view the website and phone number listed under each Agency.
Agencies and Departments Include:
Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
Florida Agency for Persons with Disabilities
Florida Attorney General
Florida Department of Children and Families
Florida Department of Elder Affairs
Florida Department of Financial Services
Florida Department of Health
Florida Department of Management Services
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Florida Division of Emergency Management
Florida State Government
Federal Government Websites
FLORIDA AGENCY FOR HEALTH CARE ADMINISTRATION (AHCA)
FloridaHealthFinder.gov, FHIN.net and MyFloridaRx.com
Phone: (888) 419-3456
- Medicaid. For information on Medicaid services, to file a Medicaid complaint, to report possible
Medicaid fraud, or for referral to your local Medicaid office, call the toll-free number (888)
419-3456. You can also find information and local Medicaid Offices at AHCA.MyFlorida.com/Medicaid. To apply for Medicaid
refer to the Department of Children and Families section.
- Health Care Facilities. For referral to health facility regulation or to file a complaint
against a facility, or provider, call the toll-free number (888) 419-3456. For more
information visit AHCA.MyFlorida.com/MCHQ.
- Health Care Data. Health care data can be viewed at
FloridaHealthFinder.gov/researchers/researchers.aspx. To order patient level data on hospitals, ambulatory surgery
centers, and emergency departments, call (850) 412-3772 or click Order Data. For Medicaid data visit AHCA.MyFlorida.com/Medicaid.
- Managed Health Care (health plans). For information on managed health care regulation visit
AHCA.MyFlorida.com/MCHQ/Managed_Health_Care. If you have a complaint, first contact your health plan for their
grievance process. Once you have completed that, if you are still not satisfied call (888)
419-3456 for information on further action that may be available to you.
- Consumer Health Websites:
- FloridaHealthFinder.gov provides tools to compare hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers,
emergency rooms, hospices, health plans, physicians, and nursing homes. The site includes the A.D.A.M. Health
Encyclopedia; a list of health care facilities; information on insurance, medications, seniors, medical conditions, and
resources for the uninsured; consumer publications; information for health care professionals; and much more.
- MyFloridaRx.com was established by AHCA and
the Office of the Attorney General. View the website to compare prices on the 150 most commonly used prescription drugs
sold at pharmacies in your community.
- FHIN.net (Florida Health Information Network)
provides information and resources on the Agency's initiatives for Health Information Technology and Health Information
Exchange. These initiatives can help improve the quality of health care for all Floridians by helping to prevent medical
errors, reduce unnecessary health care costs, increase efficiencies of care and administration, and improve patient
involvement. The website also includes information and resources on e-Prescribing, a personal health record tool kit,
and the Medicaid Health Information Network.
- Joshua Abbott Organ and Tissue Donor Registry. For information about organ and tissue donation,
or to register as a donor, visit the website
- Health Care Advance Directives. This
pamphlet includes information on living wills, health care surrogate, Do Not Resuscitate Orders (DNRO), and Durable
Power of Attorney. To view and print it, click Advance Directives.
FLORIDA AGENCY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES (APD)
Phone: (866) 273-2273; (850) 488-4257
- Services. This Agency assists people with developmental disabilities and their families by
identifying needed support and services. A wide range of services include support coordination, transportation, various
therapies, home based services, supported employment services, medical services, and many others.
- An Application for Services is available on the APD website as well as a list of area offices.
FLORIDA ATTORNEY GENERAL (AG)
Website: MyFloridaLegal.com and MyFloridaRx.com
- Medicaid Fraud. The Medicaid Fraud Control Unit investigates Medicaid fraud committed by health care
providers and also investigates the abuse, neglect and exploitation of the elderly, ill and disabled residents of long
term care facilities like nursing homes, facilities for the mentally and physically disabled, and assisted living
facilities. To report fraud or abuse, call the toll-free number (866) 966-7226.
- Victim Services. The Division of Victim Services advocates for crime victims and offers some
financial help for innocent victims of crime, to help with medical costs, lost income, mental health services, and
funeral expenses related to the crime. Call the Division of Victim Services' toll-free number
(800) 226-6667 or (850) 414-3300.
- Consumer Protection. Includes information and actions that consumers can take related to fraud,
identity theft, child safety, free credit reports, consumer complaints, and consumer alerts. View the AG website for
- Contact the AG's office for information on civil rights, criminal appeals, crime prevention, and more.
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES (DCF)
- ACCESS Florida. To apply for Medicaid, temporary cash assistance or food assistance, or to check on
the status of your claim, visit
MyFlorida.com/accessflorida or call the toll-free number (866) 762-2237.
- Abuse Hot Line. To report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of children and elderly or
disabled adults, call the toll-free number (800) 962-2873 or TDD (800)
453-5145 or visit
- Domestic Violence Hotline. To report domestic violence or to seek help, call the toll-free
number (800) 500-1119 or TTY (800) 621-4202, or visit
- Adoption and Foster Care. To inquire about adopting a child in Florida, call the toll-free
number (800) 962-3678 or (904) 353-0679 or visit AdoptFlorida.org. For information on foster care visit FosteringFlorida.com.
- Substance Abuse includes information and referral to outpatient and residential care for drug and
alcohol abuse treatment and prevention. Visit MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs/substance-abuse.
- Mental Health includes information and referral to outpatient and resident care for mental health
- Refugee Services provides resettlement assistance for refugees who have Immigration and
Naturalization Service (INS) documentation. Visit
- Contact DCF for information on childcare, adult protective services, and homelessness. Find resources
and more at MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF ELDER AFFAIRS (DOEA)
Phone: (800) 963-5337; (800) 955-8771 (TDD)
- Elder Care Services Helpline. For referral to local services for seniors, call the toll-free number
(800) 963-5337 or TDD (800) 955-8771. Some of the programs and
- SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) provides counseling to seniors regarding health
insurance, including Medicare, Medicaid, prescription drug assistance, and long-term care. Call the above number or
- CARES (Comprehensive Assessment and Review for Long-Term Care Services) provides assessment of seniors
to see what services are needed and what programs are available to help keep a person in their own home or for placement
in assisted living or in a nursing home. Call the above number or view ElderAffairs.state.fl.us/doea/cares.php.
- Other programs include the Older Americans Act (OAA), Community Care for the Elderly, Home Care for the
Elderly, Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly, and the Alzheimer's disease Initiative.
- Assisted Living Facilities and Adult Family Care Homes. Find information on assisted living in
Florida, including a list of facilities, funding programs, and what to look for in choosing a facility at: Elderaffairs.state.fl.us/faal/
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman Council investigates complaints and assists in resolving grievances of
residents in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and adult family care homes. Call the toll-free number (888) 831-0404 to file a complaint or to report operation of an unlicensed long-term care
facility. For more information, visit Ombudsman.MyFlorida.com
- Contact DOEA for information on memory disorder clinics, demographic profiles on elders, legal
assistance, elder abuse prevention, disabilities, mental health, relocating to Florida, information for caregivers,
senior employment, guardianship, volunteerism, and disaster preparedness. Find these and other programs at ElderAffairs.state.fl.us/english/programs
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL SERVICES (DFS)
Website: MyFloridaCFO.com and floir.com
Phone: (800) 342-2762 or (850) 413-3089
- Insurance Information. For general insurance information or for a problem with an insurance claim,
call the toll-free number (800) 342-2762 or view the DFS website.
- Division of Insurance Fraud. To report insurance fraud, call the toll-free number (800) 378-0445 or view
- Storm Helpline. For questions related to insurance and damage from a hurricane, tropical storm,
or tornado, call the toll-free number (800) 227-8676, TDD (800)
- Workers' Compensation Employee Assistance Office assists workers who need benefit payments and
services due to injury on the job. For information call the toll-free number (800) 342-1741
or visit MyFloridaCFO.com/wc.
- Funeral and Cemetery Hotline. For questions and complaints about funeral providers, cemeteries,
and pre-need contracts call the toll-free number (800) 323-2627 or view MyFloridaCFO.com/FuneralCemetery.
- Unclaimed Property. Check to see if you or a loved one has money or property that you might have
forgotten about. These might be forgotten accounts in financial institutions, insurance and utility companies;
securities and trust holdings; or items from a safe deposit box. Visit FLTreasureHunt.org.
- Contact DFS for information on insurance agents, insurance rates, and consumer insurance guides.
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH (DOH)
Websites: FloridasHealth.com and FLHealthSource.gov
Phone: (850) 245-4444
- County Health Departments (CHD) provide primary care and personal health services, plus immunizations
and disease control. Find your local office at
- Health Care Professionals. DOH licenses and regulates health care professionals. To read more
and to find a list of health care professionals visit
FLHealthSource.gov. To report someone working as a health care professional without a state license, call the DOH
toll-free number (877) 425-8852.
- Complaints. To request a form to file a complaint against a health care professional call the
toll-free number (877) 425-8852 or visit FLHealthSource.gov. The complaint is required to be in writing.
- Bureau of Vital Statistics. For information on official records of birth, death, marriage, and
divorce in Florida call (904) 359-6900 or visit
- Children's Medical Services (CMS) provides comprehensive care to eligible children with special
health care needs, including prevention and early intervention programs, as well as primary, specialty and long-term
care. The Newborn Screening Program (tests all children born in Florida for genetic, metabolic and hemoglobinopathic
disorders) and the Early Steps Program (serves Florida's infants and toddlers with developmental delays) are also housed
in Children's Medical Services. To learn more and to find contact information, visit
- Contact DOH for information on maternal and child health; particular diseases; disease prevention and
immunizations; health alerts; rural, minority, and environmental health; emergency medical services; brain and spinal
cord injury; and statistics on morbidity, mortality, births, population, and other community health indicators. Find
these and other topics at FloridaHealth.gov/a-z.html
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT SERVICES (DMS)
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS' AFFAIRS (FDVA)
Phone: (727) 518-3202
- Benefits. Provides information and services related to veterans' benefits, including compensation,
education, health, pension, and other benefits.
- Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities. Provides the addresses and contact information for
Florida veterans' nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
- Newsletter. Provides navigation links to veterans' information and subscription access for the
eFloridaVetsNews electronic newsletter.
- Contact FDVA for additional information on life insurance, death benefits, Board of Veterans' Appeals
procedures, and home loans for veterans and their beneficiaries.
FLORIDA DIVISION OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT (FDEM)
Division of Emergency Management
- Special Needs Registry. For patients whose medical needs are not acute, but who need assistance in
evacuation during natural or human-made disasters. To learn more and for county contacts, visit
- Website. The FloridaDisaster.org
website includes information to prepare for a disaster, as well as information to use during and after a disaster.
Phone: (888) 540-5437; (877) 316-8748 (TTY)
Florida KidCare is a health insurance program for children under age 19, available at low or no cost depending on
Florida KidCare is an interagency collaboration that includes the Agency for Health Care Administration, the
Department of Children and Families, the Department of Health, and the Florida Healthy Kids Corporation.
FLORIDA STATE GOVERNMENT
For information on Florida's state agencies, visit the state government website MyFlorida.com.
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WEBSITES
For information on Medicare, Medicare supplemental insurance, the Medicare Part D prescription drug benefit, and
other Medicare topics:
Phone: (800) 633-4227 or (877) 486-2048 (TTY)
For information on health insurance, visit HealthCare.gov.
For information on other federal agencies, visit USA.gov.
Additional Consumer Guides Include:
A Patient's Guide to a Hospital Stay
Assisted Living in Florida
End-of-Life Issues - A Practical Planning Guide
Health Care Advance Directives
Home Health Care in Florida
Nursing Home Care in Florida
Understanding Prescription Drug Costs
This may be copied for public use. Please credit the Agency for Health Care Administration for its creation.
Information is current as of December 2013. If you have comments or suggestions, call (850)